Your donation will go towards:
- Hosting our very first out of state outdoor adventures! (The first step towards new BGT chapters)
- Purchasing much needed gear for group events and a “gear locker” for participants to borrow what they need.
- Compensating our invaluable all-volunteer team for their time and commitment to planning, scouting, and leading adventures.
- Capacity building necessities including an improved website and administrative support.
Black Girls Trekkin’ is run and primarily cared for by Tiffany and Michelle. We are passionate about creating and sustaining a community that supports diversity in the outdoors and also wish to help communicate the importance of conserving and protecting natural spaces. We’re working hard to provide the essentials for our BGT family. To create the safest and most enjoyable experience possible, we got wilderness first-aid certified, attend outdoor recreation classes, research every trail, purchase extra water and snacks, and (when we can) cover parking fees. Putting our events together is a labor of love, but as much as we’d like to believe we can do it all, we can’t do it alone.
At the end of the day, we’re still just two millennials paying our student loans and surviving off avocado toast (hah). We’re working on getting support by actively reaching out to outdoor companies that align with the goals of our group to ensure that the outdoors is accessible for everyone. Being relatively new, however, we still have a ways to go.That’s where you come in!
Your donation will support the following goals:
- Helping us purchase items for our group hikes and events (food, gear, transportation, etc.). We want to take the group to a National Park for a weekend camping adventure. Our goal is to take care of most of the expenses so no one misses out on a remarkable experience.
- Continue to support black-owned businesses for our shirts and stickers. There are cheaper alternatives to the merch we buy, but we want to continue to help our community thrive.
- We’re dreaming of putting together a Black Girls Trekkin’ nature and trail guide. We love pointing out different flora and fauna when we’re out on the trails, and are a perfect team when we’re hitting the tide pools (Tiffany finds things and Michelle identifies them). Additionally, we want to acknowledge the cultural and historical significance of the land where we hike. Also, the trail guides online are pretty skewed. Some trails are marked as easy when there’s like 600-700 feet of elevation gain. When we’re out scoping the trails, we realize that different types of people with different body shapes, sizes, and athletic abilities are on these trails. We wish to contribute by changing the narrative of most of those online hiking guides.
- Eventually we’d like to achieve Non-Profit status and set up BGT chapters in other parts of the country. It’s important to us that every group in the BGT community receives the same support as our LA-based group. We want to make sure we can afford to take care of these chapters before moving forward.
We greatly appreciate one-time donations. We know everyone says it, but honestly every nickel, dime, and dollar helps us out.
Donations can be sent to either our Paypal or Venmo below:
We also have Patreon if you would like to become a long time contributor to Black Girls Trekkin. You can find us here:
If you have a company and like what you see here at BGT, we’re always open to collaborations and sponsorships. As long as your company aligns with our values, we would love to work with you! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.